LDAP performance slow intermittently
Khoa Nguyen
2010-05-19 21:42:37 UTC
My LDAP server (version 2.3.43) performance is quite erratic; for a few
minutes, search operations are lightning fast, and then it slows down to
several seconds for a single search, and then it is fast again, etc.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot/determine the root cause of this
intermittent problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Khoa
Dieter Kluenter
2010-05-20 14:55:56 UTC
Post by Khoa Nguyen
My LDAP server (version 2.3.43) performance is quite erratic; for a few
minutes, search operations are lightning fast, and then it slows down to
several seconds for a single search, and then it is fast again, etc.
I am not sure how to troubleshoot/determine the root cause of this
intermittent problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.
It is hard to tell, but from my experience there are four or five main
reasons:
- insufficient memory,
- inadequate file system,
- lack of appropriate indexes,
- transaction logs, database and syslog on the same disk,
- network failures,
- misconfigured clients.

-Dieter
--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
sip: +49.40.20932173
GPG Key ID:8EF7B6C6
Quanah Gibson-Mount
2010-05-20 14:57:08 UTC
--On Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:42 PM -0400 Khoa Nguyen
Post by Khoa Nguyen
My LDAP server (version 2.3.43) performance is quite erratic; for a few
minutes, search operations are lightning fast, and then it slows down to
several seconds for a single search, and then it is fast again, etc.
I am not sure how to troubleshoot/determine the root cause of this
intermittent problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Your email is very vague, for example, no idea what backend you are using
(hdb/bdb/sql, etc). But generally I would check the cachesize &
idlcachesize setting in slapd.conf, and I would ensure I have a properly
configured DB_CONFIG file if it is back-bdb or back-hdb.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer
Dan Burkland
2010-05-20 13:21:13 UTC
My LDAP server (version 2.3.43) performance is quite erratic; for a few minutes, search operations are lightning fast, and then it slows down to several seconds for a single search, and then it is fast again, etc.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot/determine the root cause of this intermittent problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Khoa

Are you searching for the same entries each time? What exactly are you searching for? Are the entries that you are searching for indexed? What are the specs of the server? Is the box heavily loaded?

Dan