syncrepl's "retry" option
Ryan Steele
2010-04-20 21:34:09 UTC
The FAQ indicates that the 'retry' option should be a comma-separated list: http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1118.html

However, all of the examples from the section on replication in the Admin Guide seem to show them as being
space-delimited values: http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html#Syncrepl

Which is correct?

Thanks,
Ryan
Quanah Gibson-Mount
2010-04-20 22:11:11 UTC
Post by Ryan Steele
The FAQ indicates that the 'retry' option should be a comma-separated
list: http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1118.html
However, all of the examples from the section on replication in the Admin
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html#Syncrepl
Which is correct?
Both.

If you examine the source, you find:

slap_str2clist( &retry_list, val, " ,\t" );

i.e., it accepts a space, a comma, or a tab, as delimiters.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer
Ryan Steele
2010-04-21 13:47:39 UTC
--On Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:34 PM -0400 Ryan Steele
Post by Ryan Steele
The FAQ indicates that the 'retry' option should be a comma-separated
list: http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1118.html
However, all of the examples from the section on replication in the Admin
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html#Syncrepl
Which is correct?
Both.
slap_str2clist( &retry_list, val, " ,\t" );
i.e., it accepts a space, a comma, or a tab, as delimiters.
--Quanah
Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Quanah. Gavin, should the documentation be updated to reflect this? I checked several
sources, but none seemed to definitively identify all of the acceptable delimiters. I'm happy to submit a patch for the
Admin Guide, if you like?

Thanks,
Ryan
Quanah Gibson-Mount
2010-04-21 14:47:58 UTC
Post by Ryan Steele
Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Quanah. Gavin, should the documentation
be updated to reflect this? I checked several sources, but none seemed
to definitively identify all of the acceptable delimiters. I'm happy to
submit a patch for the Admin Guide, if you like?
, is historical and deprecated. The FAQ should really be fixed to remove
them.

--Quanah

m***@aero.polimi.it
Fixed. p.
m***@aero.polimi.it
2010-04-21 15:59:40 UTC
Post by Ryan Steele
The FAQ indicates that the 'retry' option should be a comma-separated
list: http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1118.html
However, all of the examples from the section on replication in the Admin
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html#Syncrepl
Which is correct?
Both.
slap_str2clist( &retry_list, val, " ,\t" );
i.e., it accepts a space, a comma, or a tab, as delimiters.
--Quanah
Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Quanah. Gavin, should the documentation
be updated to reflect this?
The docs only present the "," because that's the preferred way. The other
forms are supported mainly for historical reasons. You should stick with
the documentation. The tests should use the documented form.
Post by Ryan Steele
I checked several
sources, but none seemed to definitively identify all of the acceptable
delimiters. I'm happy to submit a patch for the
Admin Guide, if you like?
A patch for the tests would be preferable.

p.
Quanah Gibson-Mount
2010-04-21 16:15:57 UTC
Post by m***@aero.polimi.it
The docs only present the "," because that's the preferred way. The other
forms are supported mainly for historical reasons. You should stick with
the documentation. The tests should use the documented form.
"," is historical... The FAQ entry is all that needs fixing.

--Quanah

m***@aero.polimi.it
2010-04-21 16:40:57 UTC
Post by Quanah Gibson-Mount
Post by m***@aero.polimi.it
The docs only present the "," because that's the preferred way. The other
forms are supported mainly for historical reasons. You should stick with
the documentation. The tests should use the documented form.
"," is historical... The FAQ entry is all that needs fixing.
Right, I got it the other way round once more, we had this discussion many
times. In any case, stick with the documentation (the admin guide, in
this case).

p.
Howard Chu
2010-04-21 20:54:16 UTC
Post by Quanah Gibson-Mount
Post by m***@aero.polimi.it
The docs only present the "," because that's the preferred way. The other
forms are supported mainly for historical reasons. You should stick with
the documentation. The tests should use the documented form.
"," is historical... The FAQ entry is all that needs fixing.
Since we normally use white space for other delimiters, I think "," is
actually the better choice here. Anything that requires additional quoting is
generally a bad idea...
--
-- Howard Chu
CTO, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com
m***@aero.polimi.it
2010-04-22 00:04:39 UTC
Post by Howard Chu
Post by Quanah Gibson-Mount
Post by m***@aero.polimi.it
The docs only present the "," because that's the preferred way. The other
forms are supported mainly for historical reasons. You should stick with
the documentation. The tests should use the documented form.
"," is historical... The FAQ entry is all that needs fixing.
Since we normally use white space for other delimiters, I think "," is
actually the better choice here. Anything that requires additional quoting is
generally a bad idea...
I concur. In general (e.g. attribute lists) we use commas. However, it's
essentially a matter of documentation: the code will have to support both
syntaxes, otherwise so many configurations would break.

p.