slow slave performance
Jefferson Davis
2010-03-29 16:30:42 UTC
I am trying to move from a central to a master-slave setup. everything works, buyt as soon as I put the server in slave mode performance gets very poor.

Replication works fine.

I am running on centos 4.8 w/openldap-servers-2.2.13-12.el4_8.2

TLS is enabled, though removing it seems to make no difference.

Where should I direct my troubleshooting efforts, adn what additional information would you need to see in order to point me to the error of my ways?

Thanks
--
Jefferson K Davis
Technology and Information Systems Manager

Quanah Gibson-Mount
2010-03-29 18:29:13 UTC
--On Monday, March 29, 2010 9:30 AM -0700 Jefferson Davis
I am running on centos 4.8 w/openldap-servers-2.2.13-12.el4_8.2
Past Releases
OpenLDAP 2.2 (released December 2003)
This version is not actively maintained.

OpenLDAP 2.3 (released June 2005)

Current Release(s)

OpenLDAP 2.4 (released October 2007)

OpenLDAP 2.2 is so dead and gone, it's not worthwhile to use. Particularly
the patch level you mention. If you have no option of going to 2.4, then I
would advise you build at least the most current version of OpenLDAP 2.2.
However, you'll not get the improvements that came along in later releases.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer
Quanah Gibson-Mount
2010-03-29 19:11:19 UTC
--On Monday, March 29, 2010 11:41 AM -0700 Jefferson Davis
not quite the answer I was hoping for...
However, I will look for more updated repo's - this 2.2 is the latest
and greatest for rhel/centos 4.8...
While i'm not averse to compiling source, it's generally simpler to
maintain via package mgt than patching/compiling, etc...
and wholesale upgrade of server os is not an option I want to look at
right now.
In the meantime... nothing I can do w/2.2?
You can try basic tuning (via DB_CONFIG for Berkeley DB) and the cachesize.
But some of the options for tuning available in later releases are not
valid for 2.2.

For running a production LDAP service, I near always recommend building and
maintaining it yourself.

--Quanah

Jefferson Davis
2010-03-29 20:25:32 UTC
I think I'm hosed - wants bdb 4.4+ - CentOS 4.8 has 4.2.

so I shift to source on that - and what'll THAT break?

----- Message from ***@zimbra.com ---------
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:11:19 -0700
From: Quanah Gibson-Mount <***@zimbra.com>
Subject: Re: slow slave performance
----- End message from ***@zimbra.com -----

Owen Marshall
2010-03-30 17:44:38 UTC
Post by Jefferson Davis
I think I'm hosed - wants bdb 4.4+ - CentOS 4.8 has 4.2.
so I shift to source on that - and what'll THAT break?
Assuming you keep it in a separate prefix, as you will do for OpenLDAP
2.4.21, it shouldn't break anything on the rest of your system.

You will want to slapcat your existing data and slapadd it once you've
built OpenLDAP 2.4.21/BDB 4.8, as IIRC you will not be able to just use
4.2 files with DB 4.8.

Building from source really isn't that difficult, as both BDB and
OpenLDAP have good documentation on the subject.
--
Owen Marshall
FacilityONE
***@facilityone.com | (502) 805-2126
Thierry Lacoste
2010-03-30 17:31:19 UTC
Post by Quanah Gibson-Mount
For running a production LDAP service, I near always recommend
building and maintaining it yourself.
I'm interested in the exceptions you have in mind with "near always".

What do you think about building via ports on *BSD systems (pkgsrc on
NetBSD) ?
AFAICT it generally produces a resonably up-to-date release (provided
you have
an up-to-date port tree of course).

Best regards,
Thierry
Quanah Gibson-Mount
2010-03-30 23:58:14 UTC
--On Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:31 PM +0200 Thierry Lacoste
Post by Thierry Lacoste
Post by Quanah Gibson-Mount
For running a production LDAP service, I near always recommend
building and maintaining it yourself.
I'm interested in the exceptions you have in mind with "near always".
Symas provides packages, and so does Buchan Milne.
Post by Thierry Lacoste
What do you think about building via ports on *BSD systems (pkgsrc on
NetBSD) ?
AFAICT it generally produces a resonably up-to-date release (provided you
have
an up-to-date port tree of course).
No idea, I've never used the BSD port systems.

--Quanah

FRLinux
2010-03-31 17:25:10 UTC
Post by Thierry Lacoste
What do you think about building via ports on *BSD systems (pkgsrc on
NetBSD) ?
AFAICT it generally produces a resonably up-to-date release (provided you
have
an up-to-date port tree of course).
I do that on FreeBSD and it really kicks ass:

put that in your /etc/make.conf:
WITH_BDB_VER=48

Then build it
cd /usr/ports/net/openldap24-server/
make install clean

(currently build with OpenLDAP 2.4.21 which is served us well as
slave). As a Master, we have yet to migrate our oldish 2.3 setup, this
is on the list for the next month.

Cheers,
Steph

Michael Ströder
2010-03-29 19:12:22 UTC
Post by Jefferson Davis
I am trying to move from a central to a master-slave setup. everything
works, buyt as soon as I put the server in slave mode performance gets
very poor.
Replication works fine.
I am running on centos 4.8 w/openldap-servers-2.2.13-12.el4_8.2
You really should not waste your time with using such an ancient version since
there have been many many many fixes to syncrepl. Consider upgrading to 2.4.21.

Ciao, Michael.
Michael Ströder
2010-03-29 20:22:54 UTC
I know I need to remove the rpm packages before I install the new stuff.
Not necessarily. You could leave all the RPM-based stuff depending on libldap
and compile the server software to a completely separate prefix.

Ciao, Michael.
Michael Ströder
2010-03-29 20:40:59 UTC
HI!

Please keep replies on the mailing list so others can answer and learn as well.
what version of bdb shoudl I use - the latest stable openldap does not
like the 4.2 version currently installed.
Same deal, just different previx?
Yupp, different prefix. You can use the same for BDB 4.8.x, OpenLDAP 2.4 etc.
That's how I recently did on RHEL 5.

Ciao, Michael.
Buchan Milne
2010-03-30 11:04:58 UTC
I know I need to remove the rpm packages before I install the new stuff.
Really?

http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/rhel4/openldap/

(you can get 2.3.43 there that won't interfere with any of your RHEL4 original
packages ... the 2.4.x packages have been giving build trouble on RHEL4 and
are thus *very* old, and I have no motivation to fix the build on RHEL4. If
people on RHEL4 would benefit from 2.4.x packages I can consider having a look
again ...).

Regards,
Buchan
Jefferson Davis
2010-03-30 14:11:13 UTC
Is there a repo to point to or just dl the rpms and update?

Very cool thanks for your efforts!

----- Message from ***@staff.telkomsa.net ---------
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:04:58 +0100
From: Buchan Milne <***@staff.telkomsa.net>
----- End message from ***@staff.telkomsa.net -----

Michael Ströder
2010-03-30 19:06:41 UTC
Post by Jefferson Davis
Is there a repo to point to or just dl the rpms and update?
Very cool thanks for your efforts!
While I appreciate the packaging work done I'd still recommend to compile
2.4.21 yourself. 2.4.7 is quite old and 2.3.x is also not actively maintained
anymore.

Ciao, Michael.
Buchan
Buchan Milne
2010-03-31 08:45:49 UTC
Post by Jefferson Davis
Is there a repo to point to or just dl the rpms and update?
Very cool thanks for your efforts!
http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/OpenLDAP.repo

(But, I haven't tried that file with RHEL4, which doesn't ship with yum ... I
was using smart on RHEL4 with a manually configured repo).

Regards,
Buchan
Jefferson Davis
2010-03-31 13:55:29 UTC